Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-03 15:42:34
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:21:05 -0700
On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 09:59:53AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Discard a perfectly valid dump?  Possibly the one and only copy of some data?
> It still could be used by a SysAdmin in a number of ways.  For example, it
> could be manually taped or stored in some manner; it could be used for amanda
> restore/recovery from the holding disk.  I wouldn't assume, nor want, amanda
> to discard it under the conditions you encountered.  How to deal with the
> unexpected situation should be the SA's decision.

Valid points.  Then can we address why it was backed up in the first place?

I do not want to have to spend a few hours every night trying to make sure
every backup will fit on a tape.  If a sysadmin screws up his excludes, or
loads 20gb extra on his system, I want a report in the morning to deal with
(get the sysadmin in question to alter his excludes or his DLEs) and not
3 blank tapes and something in the dumpspace I have to manually remove.

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek