Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-02 18:01:24
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:45:46 -0700
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 05:18:39PM -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 at 10:10am, Joe Rhett wrote
>
> > On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 08:52:29AM -0400, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> > > This can happen for a variety of reasons.  Sometimes a DLE grows between
> > > estimate time and dump time.  If you're using software compression and
> > > it's a relatively new DLE (or the nature of the data changes), amanda's
> > > estimate of the compressed size can be inaccurate.
> >
> > By 20gb?  And no, we're not using compression anywhere so that's not it.
>
> I've had DLEs grow by over 100GB between estimate time and dump time.
> Investigate this.  Only you can figure out why that 53GB dump happened in
> the first place.

I have already said that, that isn't it.  In fact, the size of this
filesystem has only gone down over the last 10 months.

> > >                                                  It's *impossible* to
> > > anticipate every situation, although I believe amanda does a pretty good
> > > job.
> >
> > Huh?  Impossible to anticipate that 53gb can't be written to a 30gb tape?
>
> Amanda figures backups are really important, and really wants to get them
> on tape.  It knows that tapelengths can be estimates (especially if one is
> using hardware compression), and figures it'll give it a shot even if it
> doesn't look like it'll fit.

By trying to write nearly twice the size of a tape to a tape?  C'mon, be
serious here.

> See above.  And please, please check your attitude at the door.  If you
> want to make amanda better, join the -hackers list and get hacking.

I did.  I am still on -hackers.  I spent the last 4 years working on real
problems and submitting patches for them.  Only to see them ignored.  Not
rejected for any given reason, just ignored.  So now I'm tired of being
ignored and frustrated by the long-standing and oft-reported bugs in tape
handling.  What do you expect?

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek