Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-03 15:42:38
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:25:53 -0700
On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:00:14AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> Would you point me to your other submissions so that I can check into
> what happend and why they were mishandled.

Just from the patches I have laying around

1. A build fix for Windows/cygwin builds so that SYSTEMROOT was part of the
path.  I was posting that fix to the list for 2 years which new patch
releases were coming out without the fix.  It didn't work in cygwin without
it.

2. A patch for Solaris so that it would properly compile/install in /opt
(given the right --prefix options) instead of assuming /usr/local paths.

Then I remember significant questions about EOT handling and willingness to
write a taper that would deal with this appropriately, as well as trying to
get some insight into the transport mechanism so I could rewrite it to use
SSH as a transport.  Both of these issues were blown off rather than saying
"well best of luck, the things you need to know are..."

When you get blown off on something deep in the core of the code, you don't
spend effort trying to make it work.  Notice the total failure of amanda v5.
They tried anyway, and failed.

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek