Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-01 17:24:45
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 17:06:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 at 9:51am, Joe Rhett wrote

> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:46:36PM -0700, Joe Rhett wrote:
> > > Yeah, I didn't need those tapes for anything else.  Let's just waste 12
> > > hours and 3 tapes doing absolutely NOTHING.
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 07:22:53PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > What's the saying?
> >     "If you keep doing what you've been doing
> >      you'll keep getting what you've been getting!"
> >
> > You know you have a DLE that is too big to tape and that amanda
> > does not handle it well.  Isn't it time to stop wasting time
> > and tape and split the DLE?
>
> Ah, I'm sorry!  I should not assume that amanda can do it's own math.  I
> must sit down with a calculator every night and do my own estimates and
> make this all work?
>
> Jon, this is a fairly serious problem with amanda.  Why are you blaming the
> reporter instead of trying to fix the problem?  You haven't even attempted
> to identify the problem, you're just being busy shooting the messenger.

*You* are the only one who can really identify the problem.  Are you using
server-side or client-side estimates?  If the latter, look at the
sendsize*debug for the 53GB dump to see what amanda thought the size would
be at estimate time.

> Nice approach.

When you come in with the attitude you are, expect nothing else.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering