Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-01 13:12:47
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 09:48:35 -0700
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 06:00:39PM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:41:43AM -0700, Joe Rhett wrote:
> >> Some part of the code mistakenly decided to store 53gb to the holding disk,
> >> and then tried to flush it to tape, regardless of the fairly basic math
> >> involved.
> >
> > And well, tonight, it does it again.
> >
> > USAGE BY TAPE:
> >   Label       Time      Size      %    Nb
> >   svk17       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
> >   svk18       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
> >   svk19       1:32   15181.6   45.1    42
> >   svk20       0:00       0.0    0.0     0
> >
> > Yeah, I didn't need those tapes for anything else.  Let's just waste 12
> > hours and 3 tapes doing absolutely NOTHING.

> --On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 15:46:36 -0700 Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT
> net> wrote:
> I'm still curious how a 53gb dump was even done if your tapelength was
> set to 30ish GB.  Was your tapelenght set to something longer at the
> time the dump was originally done?

Nope. The tapelength was 33gb for 4 years, and then we found a problem last
year where amanda was calculating or writing wrong or whatever so we
lowered the tapelength to 30gb to avoid this problem.
(you can find the thread in the archives)

> In the meantime, to quit burning tapes, set autoflush off (or is it false?)
> to let the old dump stay on disk while continuing your current backups
> and researching the problem.  Or are you saying it did a new 53gb dump?

I simply removed it from the spool.

> Yes, I agree that Amanda shouldn't mark a tape as used if nothing was
> successfully written to it. You could edit your tapelist to 'unuse' a
> tape, just be aware you can screw things up if you get it wrong.

I've already done this.  Notice that 3 of these tapes were the same unused
tapes from the previous day.  Kindof hard to get it wrong ;-)  Move to
bottom, change date to date prior to previous tapes.

That said, manually hacking on this in not the appropriate way to handle
this.  Why doesn't amanda recognize that it can't write this out?  Why did
it back it up in the first place?

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek