Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-01 21:07:32
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:56:55 +1000
Thankyou for both copies of your courteous email!

This one time, at band camp, Joe Rhett wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:46:43AM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
>> There's a patch from John Stange that I don't believe has been committed to
>> CVS, but it takes care of splitting dumps and spanning tapes.  Grep for it
>> on the amanda-hackers list.  Doesn't fix #2, but should take care of #1 for
>> you.
>
>Because it's a patch that's been floating around for 2+ years and isn't
>being accepted into the mainline code for reasons unknown.  Support for
>amanda is really only done by like 2 people, and applying this patch would
>make it just John, and there are many things John doesn't know or can't do.

I do apologise for failing to read your mind properly.  Had I known that you
knew already about John Stange's patch and were unwilling to try it out I
wouldn't have bothered mentioning it.

>The things about backups is that they aren't a place to play games.

No shit.

>I do have a test backup system, but it's focused on software that does
>recognize EOT and deal with it appropriately...

You seem to be under the impression that free software is going to be fixed
by other people.

Rather than whinge on mailing lists, our admins actively experiment and test
changes to our backup system.  No-one else is going to do it for us.  Yes,
amanda has plenty of shortcomings, but complaining about it and stamping
your feet is not going to fix it.

Perhaps you already knew that, but my mindreader is acting up.