Amanda-Users

Re: This is retarded.

2005-09-02 18:01:21
Subject: Re: This is retarded.
From: Joe Rhett <jrhett AT meer DOT net>
To: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:50:29 -0700
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 10:56:55AM +1000, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
> You seem to be under the impression that free software is going to be fixed
> by other people.

Not at all.  All the other free software projects I've worked on we submit
patches and they are either accepted or rejected with a reason.  Not
ignored.  Pretty much everyone that has at times tried to improve amanda
over the years has come here, done a whole bunch of work and then watched
it come to nothing because the maintainers just don't care.  Notice that
pretty much every original amanda maintainer is now working on other backup
projects like bacula.

> Rather than whinge on mailing lists, our admins actively experiment and test
> changes to our backup system.  No-one else is going to do it for us.  Yes,
> amanda has plenty of shortcomings, but complaining about it and stamping
> your feet is not going to fix it.

I did.  I have done.  The questions I have about the code segments get
ignored.  The patches I send to fix clear and repeatable problems are
ignored.  And so after 4 years of wasting my time, I get irritated.

The truth is that I've done a lot of patches to amanda.  Small patches to
external components only, because questions about the core code modules are
ignored.  But I don't see your name on any significant patches, so who are
you bitching about?

It's easy to "whine and complain".  It's even easier to stand back and call
people whiners, when you aren't doing any work yourself.

--
Joe Rhett
senior geek