Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 12:00:37
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: Toni Mueller <support-amanda AT oeko DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:56:13 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 26.05.2004 at 09:29:01 -0600, Chris Cameron <chris AT upnix DOT com>
wrote:
> Not being able to restore specific messages easily was one of the reasons we
> moved away from Exchange 5.5.

proprietary, closed-source programs sometimes offer plug-ins that claim
to do that. Expect to run Veritas or some such, and shell out >> $1k
for the plug-in alone.

> I was by no means an Exchange expert, but I agree with Toni that moving to
> something UNIX based will make your life easier.

Thanks for the re-affirmation.

> Sendmail, Procmail, Courier IMAP and OpenLDAP are being used now instead of
> Exchange. We're not missing the shared calendars and now whether or not our
> mail system is about to puke is one less thing I have to worry about.

I've never found Sendmail to be reliable, but compared to Exchange, it
definitely is an improvement. Fwiw, from my point of view everything
else on Unix (Exim, Postfix, qmail at least) look more secure,
reliable, and faster, too.

If you really want to make use of those shared calendars or other
groupware functionality, you'd have to use add-on or even custom
programs for Outlook and Exchange that - in my case - turned out to be
non-portable across various versions of Outlook and costing
_considerably_more_money_ than the Exchange server itself.

> Just my 2 cents. Exchange 5.5 for me was always a ticking timebomb,

It was... Sometimes it would just stop accepting connections, sometimes
only for particular users, and every now and then, the SMTP engine
crashed, not to mention all the ways to 0wn that beast, together with
the underlying box... :-(

Best,
--Toni++