Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 17:26:20
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:18:44 -0400
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 13:33, lloyd wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> qmail can do that in its sleep, and scales to very large numbers
>> of accounts just fine.
>
>...but it also can be a hassle to set up and maintain thanks to
> djb's repackaging restrictions.

I wasn't aware that Daniel had any such restrictions regarding his
distro of qmail.  OTOH his docs are a bit concise, requiring extended
study before starting to set it up.  and Daniel hates to get help me
messages as he is (in his mind) way above being asked to explain his
software.

We've been running it at the tv station since about 97 or 98.  The
machine got replaced with a faster one about 2 years ago, but the
only downtime was back when the box was running RH6.something and
someone came in thru the bind backdoor and had a rootkit half
installed when we discovered the hanky-panky and rebooted it.  Then
we updated bind, and cleaned up his mess, which took about 2 days
(the perp had replaced all the usual sytsem snooper utils with the
usual rootkit subs that can't see what he is doing, but we did it
without another reboot.

AFAQmail is concerned, once properly configured, its done nothing but
'just work'(tm) :-)

What maintainance?  I doubt if Jim has done anything to it but adjust
the spam filters, and add and delete users as employees come and go
in the last 5 years.

> we used it for awhile but switched
> to alternatives like courier and postfix, which are included as
> packages in our linux distros.
>
>> Anything M$ related *can* be a time bomb.
>
>or, worse yet, silent corruption that you never even know about.
> during our move from exchange 5.5 to courier, we discovered silent,
> unrecoverable corruption in the message database that would have
> gone unnoticed had we not exported the entire mess to another
> system.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: