Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 12:50:18
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: Chris Cameron <chris AT upnix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:36:03 -0600
I've done the switch from MS Exchange / WinNT Domain based Network Shares to
Linux.

I'd do the Samba thing first. Both the mail and the Samba were big deals, but
the Samba move involved a lot less interaction with users, which made it seem
to go better in their eyes.

The problem with the move from Exchange, is if you try to keep Outlook (which
we did), things will go poorly. Features don't work the same when it's not
connected to an Exchange server, so obviously that means the new system is
broken. Not to mention the strange issues Outlook has with IMAP (Have to
delete -then- purge), unexpected disconnects, crashing on Excel imports, etc.

And then if -anything- goes wrong with the mail, say a message bounced because
of miss-spelled address, or someone who said they'd email but didn't,
immediately it's the new mail systems fault. No time is spent entertaining
any other options. Because we kept outlook, there is a perception that the
mail system is flaky, when infact it hasn't once gone down, or lost a message
(or have any message been lost in the move). It's tough to stomach when you
consider all the time that was put in to make sure the backend works
flawlessly.

Very off topic.. Sorry. Be careful though, keeping Outlook can sink the ship
if everyone involved doesn't realize how it'll change the operation. I wish I
would have pushed an alternate email client harder.

Samba move went flawlessly though. Samba 3 is pretty damn slick, no one knew
the change happened, so no one knew they should have been complaining about
how it's broken. Hurray for being a sys admin.

Chris

And of course this NT replacement is backed up with Amanda, which replaced
Seagate Backup Exec.