Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 12:17:53
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:14:54 +0200
Hi, Chris,

on Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2004 at 17:29 you wrote to amanda-users:

CC> Not being able to restore specific messages easily was one of the reasons we
CC> moved away from Exchange 5.5.

CC> I was by no means an Exchange expert, but I agree with Toni that moving to
CC> something UNIX based will make your life easier.

As told in the other reply I don't have to touch that thing right now

Just to know and tell the client:
How difficult/lengthy/expensive ( ;-) )/risky is it to move over?
We are talking about ~25 users here, BTW ..

(getting VERY offtopic here, you see ? ;-) )

CC> The flexibility of having each message in a file (using Maildir) makes
CC> restores of specific messages or folders incredibly easy. The mailserver
CC> never has to go down, and I don't need to worry about making sure I'm using
CC> Exchange compatible backup software.

I still don't want to believe that this thing is not able to export
one file per mail ... on the other hand, it's MS.

CC> Just my 2 cents. Exchange 5.5 for me was always a ticking timebomb, as it
was
CC> with the administrators before me. When things would break, all you had to
CC> work with were error codes that never matched anything on Google or the MS
CC> knowledgebase, and you're left with no other options than to call MS
support.
CC> We wouldn't even consider Exchange 2003 because of that.

I think I will just store this thread for the next meeting ;-)

thank you ...

--
best regards,
Stefan