Amanda-Users

What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 10:37:25
Subject: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:34:37 +0200
Hello, amanda-users,

until now I managed to get around these things, but today I was
confronted with the question how to backup a MS Exchange Server !

Ok, I know, it's something like:

- stop exchange
- dump exchange to file
- start exchange
- dump file to tape/disk with AMANDA

But there was another thing I was asked and which is definitely
offtopic in here, but due to the fact that I hope that someone has
solved this already AND uses AMANDA I am not scared that much:

As I have never seen such a server IRL, I can only tell you what I was
told.

MS Exchange seems to only be able to dump ONE BIG FAT dumpfile, from
which you can only recover ALL the server.

If you only need/want to restore SOME mails, this does not work.

Correct me on this, it's hard to believe for me anyway.

If I could offer these guys an AMANDA-based solution which would be
able to restore single mails this would open some doors ;-)

I will research on this on the web, but maybe someone in here already
knows what to do and how ...

Thanks a lot ...

--
best regards,