Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 10:58:38
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: Toni Mueller <support-amanda AT oeko DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:54:31 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 26.05.2004 at 16:34:37 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger <monitor AT oops.co
DOT at> wrote:
> Subject: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

to answer this question first: Dispose of them and upgrade to a decent
Unix mail system!

...ok, just joking...

> confronted with the question how to backup a MS Exchange Server !

It would help to know the version of Exchange that you have. Afaik
there are significant differenes in behaviour between the various
versions.

> MS Exchange seems to only be able to dump ONE BIG FAT dumpfile, from
> which you can only recover ALL the server.

True for 5.5 afair - I managed one for about 1.5 yrs.

> If you only need/want to restore SOME mails, this does not work.

Right.

> Correct me on this, it's hard to believe for me anyway.

No. Exchange 5.5 has a binary blob which holds almost all data, and a
few small files around it. Can't remember exactly, and it's not in my
responsibility anymore.

> If I could offer these guys an AMANDA-based solution which would be
> able to restore single mails this would open some doors ;-)

Switch to a Unix mailsystem. Then Amanda works best ;-)

Maybe you can do it with Exchange 2003 which is an entirely different
can of worms for all I heard... keep us posted!

Best,
--Toni++