Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 13:02:26
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:58:08 +0200
Hi, Chris,

on Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2004 at 18:36 you wrote to amanda-users:

CC> I've done the switch from MS Exchange / WinNT Domain based Network Shares to
CC> Linux.

CC> I'd do the Samba thing first. Both the mail and the Samba were big deals,
but
CC> the Samba move involved a lot less interaction with users, which made it
seem
CC> to go better in their eyes.

I once switched a server to Samba, moved data back, turned monitor off
and left.

Half a year later they called me to ask how to reboot the server ;-)

(It was the app's fault then)

CC> The problem with the move from Exchange, is if you try to keep Outlook
(which
CC> we did), things will go poorly. Features don't work the same when it's not
CC> connected to an Exchange server, so obviously that means the new system is
CC> broken. Not to mention the strange issues Outlook has with IMAP (Have to
CC> delete -then- purge), unexpected disconnects, crashing on Excel imports,
etc.

CC> And then if -anything- goes wrong with the mail, say a message bounced
because
CC> of miss-spelled address, or someone who said they'd email but didn't,
CC> immediately it's the new mail systems fault. No time is spent entertaining
CC> any other options. Because we kept outlook, there is a perception that the
CC> mail system is flaky, when infact it hasn't once gone down, or lost a
message
CC> (or have any message been lost in the move). It's tough to stomach when you
CC> consider all the time that was put in to make sure the backend works
CC> flawlessly.

Thanks for all your comments ... this will help me in offering a way
to go.

CC> Very off topic.. Sorry. Be careful though, keeping Outlook can sink the ship
CC> if everyone involved doesn't realize how it'll change the operation. I wish
CC> would have pushed an alternate email client harder.

CC> Samba move went flawlessly though. Samba 3 is pretty damn slick, no one knew
CC> the change happened, so no one knew they should have been complaining about
CC> how it's broken. Hurray for being a sys admin.

Yes, I like that piece of software, too ;-)

CC> And of course this NT replacement is backed up with Amanda, which replaced
CC> Seagate Backup Exec.

Hey, it's on-topic again !

--
best regards,