Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 16:23:31
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:21:10 -0400
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 12:14, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>Hi, Chris,
>
>on Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2004 at 17:29 you wrote to amanda-users:
>
>CC> Not being able to restore specific messages easily was one of
> the reasons we CC> moved away from Exchange 5.5.
>
>CC> I was by no means an Exchange expert, but I agree with Toni that
> moving to CC> something UNIX based will make your life easier.
>
>As told in the other reply I don't have to touch that thing right
> now ...
>
>Just to know and tell the client:
>How difficult/lengthy/expensive ( ;-) )/risky is it to move over?
>We are talking about ~25 users here, BTW ..

qmail can do that in its sleep, and scales to very large numbers of
accounts just fine.  It also has some decent spam filters that can be
used to sort most of the spam/viri to someplace where you can go over
it looking for the occasional nugget of gold while you are
highlighting dozens at a time for the delete key.

>(getting VERY offtopic here, you see ? ;-) )
>
>CC> The flexibility of having each message in a file (using Maildir)
> makes CC> restores of specific messages or folders incredibly easy.
> The mailserver CC> never has to go down, and I don't need to worry
> about making sure I'm using CC> Exchange compatible backup
> software.
>
>I still don't want to believe that this thing is not able to export
>one file per mail ... on the other hand, it's MS.
>
>CC> Just my 2 cents. Exchange 5.5 for me was always a ticking
> timebomb, as it was CC> with the administrators before me. When
> things would break, all you had to CC> work with were error codes
> that never matched anything on Google or the MS CC> knowledgebase,
> and you're left with no other options than to call MS support. CC>
> We wouldn't even consider Exchange 2003 because of that.
>
>I think I will just store this thread for the next meeting ;-)

Anything M$ related *can* be a time bomb.  OTOH, a well written app
can run for the 46+ days it takes the tick counter in W95 to roll
over, killing the machine as it does.  But then that SW (a tv
newsroom news manager) cost us $2200+ a month too.  If it sneezed at
3am it got fixed.  If it sneezed at 3pm, they expected to get
sued. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: