Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 12:13:14
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:09:56 +0200
Hi, Toni,

on Mittwoch, 26. Mai 2004 at 16:54 you wrote to amanda-users:

TM> On Wed, 26.05.2004 at 16:34:37 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger <monitor AT
oops.co DOT at> wrote:
>> Subject: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

TM> to answer this question first: Dispose of them and upgrade to a decent
TM> Unix mail system!

TM> ...ok, just joking...

I am at the first step there: Moving things to a Samba-server and back
it up with AMANDA.

They don't have ANY Linux/UNIX in their environment, so they don't
trust it. Yet.

Maybe I can tell you about some "Exchange Server erased - Linux
installed"-news earlier than expected ;-)

>> confronted with the question how to backup a MS Exchange Server !

TM> It would help to know the version of Exchange that you have. Afaik
TM> there are significant differenes in behaviour between the various
TM> versions.

I have already requested that info ...
seems to be 5.5 from what I researched until now.

>> MS Exchange seems to only be able to dump ONE BIG FAT dumpfile, from
>> which you can only recover ALL the server.

TM> True for 5.5 afair - I managed one for about 1.5 yrs.

5.5 again.

>> If you only need/want to restore SOME mails, this does not work.

TM> Right.

Brrr...

>> Correct me on this, it's hard to believe for me anyway.

TM> No. Exchange 5.5 has a binary blob which holds almost all data, and a
TM> few small files around it. Can't remember exactly, and it's not in my
TM> responsibility anymore.

The good thing is that I don't HAVE TO mess with it, as the first
steps will be fileserving and backup, as told above ... ;-)

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger