Amanda-Users

Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?

2004-05-26 11:44:06
Subject: Re: What to do with those MS Exchange Servers?
From: Chris Cameron <chris AT upnix DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:29:01 -0600
Not being able to restore specific messages easily was one of the reasons we
moved away from Exchange 5.5.

I was by no means an Exchange expert, but I agree with Toni that moving to
something UNIX based will make your life easier.

Sendmail, Procmail, Courier IMAP and OpenLDAP are being used now instead of
Exchange. We're not missing the shared calendars and now whether or not our
mail system is about to puke is one less thing I have to worry about.

The flexibility of having each message in a file (using Maildir) makes
restores of specific messages or folders incredibly easy. The mailserver
never has to go down, and I don't need to worry about making sure I'm using
Exchange compatible backup software.

Just my 2 cents. Exchange 5.5 for me was always a ticking timebomb, as it was
with the administrators before me. When things would break, all you had to
work with were error codes that never matched anything on Google or the MS
knowledgebase, and you're left with no other options than to call MS support.
We wouldn't even consider Exchange 2003 because of that.

Chris