Amanda-Users

Re: Problems with amanda

2004-05-26 11:02:48
Subject: Re: Problems with amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:50:30 -0400
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 07:52, Marcelo Leão Caffaro wrote:
>Hi, i have the following message when i try running amanda backup in
> my computer, in this sample i use localhost, but if i try with
> another servers in my lan (all servers can i ping and is set to
> dns) i have the same message
>
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>WARNING: program /usr/local/libexec/planner: not setuid-root
>WARNING: program /usr/local/libexec/dumper: not setuid-root
>Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 4552060 KB disk space available, using
> 4449660 KB
>ERROR: /dev/nst0: not an amanda tape
>(expecting a new tape)
>NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>WARNING: tapecycle (1) <= runspercycle (28).
>NOTE: info dir /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily/localhost/_backup: does
> not exist Server check took 17.187 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>WARNING: localhost: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?
>Client check: 1 host checked in 30.141 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.4p2)

[netstat snip]

>My disklist
>localhost /backup comp-user

First, please do not ever, ever use localhost, it is not unique.  Use
a FQDN that can be resolved by your hosts file as a bare minimum.
You will appear to make backups ok, but the recovery is not possible
when the backup is of 'localhost'

Second, amanda is to be built as the user, but installed by root.
Because I myself have made the same mistake, I've written a script to
do the configure and build:
--------
#!/bin/sh
# since I'm always forgetting to su amanda...
if [ `whoami` != 'amanda' ]; then
        echo
        echo "!!!!!!!!!!!! Warning !!!!!!!!!!!!"
        echo "Amanda needs to be configured and built by the user amanda,"
        echo "but must be installed by user root."
        echo
        exit 1
fi
make clean # optional for rebuild of same srcs.
rm -f config.status config.cache
./configure --with-user=amanda \
        --with-group=disk \
        --with-owner=amanda \
        --with-tape-device=/dev/nst0 \
        --with-changer-device=/dev/sg1 \
        --with-gnu-ld --prefix=/usr/local \
        --with-debugging=/tmp/amanda-dbg/ \
        --with-tape-server=coyote.coyote.den \
        --with-amandahosts \
        --with-configdir=/usr/local/etc/amanda

make
----------------
I have a 4 tape changer, so you may remove the --with-changer-device=
line if you don't have one.  Edit the --with-tape-server= line and
give it the FQDN of your machine.

Adduser 'amanda', and make amanda a member of group disk (or backup,
whatever)

When this script has run, then become root, re-enter the directory and
do a 'make install'.  This will fix all the permissions problems you
had.

Third, do you have ~/amanda/.amandahosts properly setup?
Fourth, how about your /etc/xinetd.d/amanda?  Here is mine:
----------
# default = off, to enable use 'disable = no'
#
# This is the list of daemons & such it needs
service amanda
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = dgram
        protocol        = udp
        wait            = yes
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
}
service amandaidx
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
}
service amidxtape
{
        disable = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = amanda
        group           = disk
        groups          = yes
        server          = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
}

>anyone can help-me?

This should get you a little closer to running, if not, yelp :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: