BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.

2015-09-22 16:28:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:26:40 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2015-09-22 14:30:34 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.]:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Brad Alexander <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I don't know that that is the case, since I have been running it on
> > debian/sid since before apache 2.4 came out:
> > [...]
>
> I didn't mean there was a problem running 2.4, just that if you put
> 'Require Local'
> which I believe was in the other config posted, clients other than
> from the same host as the server will be denied access.
>   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_authz_host.html

or, more to the point, it seems to be a bug in the Centos 7 BackupPC package,
which provides an incorrect Apache configuration. It's neither an (upstream)
BackupPC issue nor an Apache problem/incompatibility. It might not even be a
Centos packaging error, if Centos default policy were to limit access to
localhost, but then again, it would be for both Apache 2.2 and 2.4, wouldn't
it?

Access policy really is a topic the individual admin will need to *think
about* and *set up correctly* anyway, unless you're on some sort of home
network ...

Regards,
Holger