BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.

2015-09-22 16:51:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 22:49:41 +0200
Hi,

Stefan Peter wrote on 2015-09-21 20:20:44 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.]:
> Dear Bob of Donelson Trophy
>
> Please find my comments interspersed below:
> (this is the stanza I use for noobs)

[this is worth resending]

> On 21.09.2015 14:03, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:
> > First, my only comment on top posting.
> >
> > [...]
> > I, like you, have to live with top posts occasionally, sorry.

Are you asking for our help, or are we asking for your vague descriptions of
off-topic problems (Apache misconfigurations by packaged versions of BackupPC)?
You see, *we* don't really *have* to live with top posts.

> You are not supposed to bottom post, either. The idea behind the whole
> eMail rule is to have a dialogue, to allow a reader who is subscribed to
> a couple of mailing lists to be able to follow the conversation without
> digging through a 2000+ line email you have to read *bottom up* if
> she/he wants to understand the context.

In particular, you are supposed to omit parts of the quoted mail no longer
neccessary for understanding the dialogue at the current point. As a rule of
thumb, that is at least everything after the end of your reply.

> > We mailing list normal users, although annoyed with top posting, can
> > learn to follow the combination of top posts with bottom posts and keep
> > up with answers.

We normal mailing list posters can also learn to move the cursor around as Les
has already suggested. It's not hard, even in vi. It's a matter of courtesy,
really. Could I be bothered to put in some work to make things easier for the
people whose help I am asking for?

> One could, but I have other emails to read, my boss does not pay me for
> reading eMails and I don't have the time to dig through the mess top
> posters produce. Result: Your eMail most probably will be ignored by a
> majority of the participants of a tech related mailing list. Not what
> you aim at, I suppose.

I can't speak for the majority, but I can confirm this for myself. I have
recently read quite some mails from you (Bob of Donelson Trophy) with problems
which were partly quite obvious and obviously somewhere else than you were
looking. I didn't feel inclined to respond to any of them, and I have noticed
that many others also have not, who I would expect could answer your questions.

In this particular thread, Les has pointed out the key misunderstanding (even
twice, in the mean time):
this is *not* an OS permission issue but rather an Apache authorization issue.
To fix this, you need to understand (a bit of) Apache configuration, not
switch off selinux, worry about Unix group membership, downgrade any software
or anything like that.

You can, of course, do whatever you like, but by disregarding advice and
instead working around the problem as you could have done right away without
bothering us, you are not exactly encouraging anyone to help you in the
future.

Regards,
Holger