BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.

2015-09-21 11:38:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: bob AT donelsontrophy DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 10:36:54 -0500
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Bob of Donelson Trophy
<bob AT donelsontrophy DOT net> wrote:
> First, my only comment on top posting.
>
> Here in the states most email clients default to top posting. Therefore, if
> I set my defaults to bottom post (as requested but not mandatory by all
> mailing list I participate in) my US customers (who, grant you, are NOT
> logical and think email should be in bottom post, logical order) reply to my
> emails with "your email response was empty" or "You didn't answer my
> question"

It's really not that hard to move your cursor around regardless of the
mailer default, is it?

> #
> # htpasswd -c /etc/BackupPC/apache.users yourusername
> #
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /etc/BackupPC/apache.users
> ##AuthUserFile /etc/lib/BackupPC/passwd/htpasswd
> AuthName "BackupPC"

Did you run the htpasswd command to set a password for user BackupPC,
and is the /etc/BackupPC/apache.users file readable by the server?

> <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
>   # Apache 2.4
>   <RequireAll>
> ##    Require valid-user
>    Require all granted
>     <RequireAny>
>       Require local
>     </RequireAny>
>   </RequireAll>
> </IfModule>
> <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
>   # Apache 2.2
>   order deny,allow
>   deny from all
> ##  allow from 127.0.0.1
>   allow from all
> ##  allow from ::1
> ##  require valid-user
>   require all granted
> </IfModule>

I no longer have access to a bunch of Centos machines to check this,
but I think the apache 2.4 version above that would apply to centos 7
says the request has to come from the local host.   And that would
match your log file saying the client is denied access, not that the
server does not have file access permission.

> I did notice "Cannot serve directory /var/www/html/: No matching
> DirectoryIndex (index.html) found, and server-generated directory index
> forbidden by Options directive" and I do not have an index.html file in
> /var/www/html/ but rather all the files that make up the "BackupPC" webpage.
> (*.gif, *.css, *.png, etc.)

Your DocumentRoot is set to /var/www/html so that's what you get if
you don't specify a path in your url.  If you use one of the Alias
names you shouldn't be going there.