BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.

2015-09-22 11:28:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.
From: Richard Zimmerman <rzimmerman AT riverbendhose DOT com>
To: "gayleard AT eircom DOT net" <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 12:54:03 +0000
Do you actually have selinux in enforcing mode?
If so, I would have thought it would be sensible to turn it to permissive,
until the BackupPC problem is solved.

> So I have decided to start again with CentOS 6.7.

I'm reasonably certain if you applied all the suggestions that have been made
(and turned off selinux temporarily) your problem would have been solved.

I had much the same problems as you getting BackupPC running.

> I need
> this machine to be backing up.

In my experience BackupPC is very good indeed once it is set up.
But it is also rather difficult to set up, in both CentOS 6 and 7.
in my experience.
--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

I don't know if my setup here will help or not, but here it does...

selinux = disabled

My BackupPC server has MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder) :)

In addition to being the BackupPC server, it's an internal web server, backup
PostgreSQL and Nagios server.

To solve my case of /backuppc access denied, I added apache to the backuppc
GROUP.

/etc/group: backuppc:x:498:apache

I'm not sure if this helps in your case but in this corner of the world, adding
apache to the respective services (backuppc, nagios, etc) got all my services
playing happily together on the server.

I also gave up trying to use rsync on Windows. Again in my case rsync was
notoriously unreliable, slow and problematic.  Switched to using SMB backups
and never looked back. Volume snapshots work as they are suppose to, NO
additional software needed on the Windows computers, etc.

You mileage may vary (YMMV) but over here BackupPC is a winner in my book!

BackupPC = BackupPC-3.3.1-1.el6.x86_64 on CentOS 6.7

Regards,

Richard

---
Richard Zimmerman