BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.

2015-09-21 14:22:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Forbidden You don't have permission to access /BackupPC on this server.
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 20:20:44 +0200
Dear Bob of Donelson Trophy

Please find my comments interspersed below:
(this is the stanza I use for noobs)

On 21.09.2015 14:03, Bob of Donelson Trophy wrote:
> First, my only comment on top posting.
>
> Here in the states most email clients default to top posting. Therefore,
> if I set my defaults to bottom post (as requested but not mandatory by
> all mailing list I participate in) my US customers (who, grant you, are
> NOT logical and think email should be in bottom post, logical order)
> reply to my emails with "your email response was empty" or "You didn't
> answer my question" and then I would need to explain to all of my
> customers where my answer is (at the bottom, where, yes, I think,
> logically it should be.) I cannot redirect the masses to bottom post,
> sorry. I, like you, have to live with top posts occasionally, sorry.

You are not supposed to bottom post, either. The idea behind the whole
eMail rule is to have a dialogue, to allow a reader who is subscribed to
a couple of mailing lists to be able to follow the conversation without
digging through a 2000+ line email you have to read *bottom up* if
she/he wants to understand the context.

> We mailing list normal users, although annoyed with top posting, can
> learn to follow the combination of top posts with bottom posts and keep
> up with answers.

One could, but I have other emails to read, my boss does not pay me for
reading eMails and I don't have the time to dig through the mess top
posters produce. Result: Your eMail most probably will be ignored by a
majority of the participants of a tech related mailing list. Not what
you aim at, I suppose.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter

--
Any technology that does not appear magical is insufficiently advanced.
~ Gregory Benford