Amanda-Users

Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps

2004-01-17 16:52:52
Subject: Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps
From: Steve Manuel <smanuel AT fanbuzz DOT com>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:49:40 -0600
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 08:23:45PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on Samstag, 17. Jänner 2004 at 20:15 I wrote to amanda-users:
>
> SGW> I will try to make that point more explicit in the
> SGW> example/amanda.conf.
>
> I suggest this:
>
> #   record      - record the dump in the time-stamp-database of the backup
> #                 program (e.g. /etc/dumpdates for DUMP). This is read by
> #                 "DUMP" and "GNUTAR". Default: [record yes]
>
> Ok?

..with this change...

#   record      - record the dump timestamp in the time-stamp-database of the
#                 backup program (e.g. /etc/dumpdates, /etc/amandates ) This is
read by
#                 the dump program for incremental dumps.  Default: [record yes]

Currently there are two backup programs that Amanda uses; dump and
tar. But there may be more in the future (star?) so "(e.g.  /etc/dumpdates for
DUMP)" might be removded since that implied (for me at any rate) that
this was only for the "dump" program.  The man page for amanda can be
more explict about what backup programs can be used and where they
record the time-stamp. Also, *is* this neccessary for incremental
dumps?

Now, this assumes that setting "record" to yes works. I'll know by
tommorow.

--
Steve Manuel
System Administrator