Amanda-Users

Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps

2004-01-17 16:56:29
Subject: Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps
From: Steve Manuel <smanuel AT fanbuzz DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:55:12 -0600
On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:03:39PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:35:28PM -0600, Steve Manuel wrote:
> >
> > Sure, I'll do that and let the list know. For the record (no pun
> > intended), where in the docs does is say that GNUtar need the
> > parameter "record" set to yes? I assumed it was only for DUMP? Where I
> > got that assumption I don't remember. However, if this works maybe
> > this should be more explicitly stated?
>
> >From "man amanda"
>
>      record "boolean"
>           Default:  yes.  Whether to ask the  backup  program  to
>           update  its  database  (e.g.  /etc/dumpdates)  of  time
>           stamps.  This is normally enabled for daily backups and
>           turned off for periodic archival runs.
>
> It would be tough to list the database name for every
> dump program out there (dump, ufsdump, xfsdump, ...).
> So it says "e.g." (such as), not exclusively or limited to.

You have a point.  However, It should be more clear that this parameter is
neccessary for incremental dumps to work correctly.

BTW, I don't remember any doc that listed all the dump programs and
their corresponding time-stamp DB. Should this be listed in the man
pages or somewhere else?

--
Steve Manuel
System Administrator