Amanda-Users

Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps

2004-01-22 09:26:20
Subject: Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps
From: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:23:23 -0500
In a message dated: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:15:19 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger" said:

>It says:
>
>> record      - record the dump in /etc/dumpdates.  Default: [record yes]
>
>which may lead to assume it doesn´t matter for GNUtar as has happened
>for Steve in this case.

Not only that, but:

  Jon> Tar is the odd man out; I doubt it was ever intended to be a
  Jon> system-wide backup program.  It doesn't have the capability to
  Jon> record its own backup dates file.  So amanda fudges a dumpdates
  Jon> file, by default using /etc/amandates.

yet, I can't find a *date* file on any of my clients which is
touched by amanda.  I'm using gnutar exclusively for backups, and
have 2 sets (daily incrementals and weekly archivals) of backups
running.  No where do I have 'record no' being used.

This leads me to believe that there's something monumentally wrong
with my config, gnutar doesn't require a date file of any kind, or,
amanda keeps track of gnutar backup dates elsewhere.

Btw, Debian/stable,  amanda-2.4.4p1, tar 1.13.25-2.
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE