Amanda-Users

Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps

2004-01-16 00:35:42
Subject: Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps
From: Steve Manuel <smanuel AT fanbuzz DOT com>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:31:32 -0600
On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 06:36:16PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hi, Steve,
>
> on 15. Jänner 2004 at 18:17 you wrote to amanda-users:
>
> SM> Amanda has been working great for me except for a problem that I can't
> SM> figure out. When I look through the report for the previous nightly
> SM> backup I noticed that all my level 1 backups were the approximately
> SM> the same size as the level 0 backups. I've scoured the man pages,
> SM> google, and FS options to determine why level 1's don't work
> SM> correctly. Nothing.
>
> Most of the people that frequently try to help amanda-users don´t have
> the ability to read config-files by just concentrating on
> email-adresses.

Yes, I know...

> :)
>
> Let us know the following:
ok

> - AMANDA-release
2.4.2p2-7

> - OS-version
Redhat 7.3

> - Do you use GNUtar or DUMP for the DLE? (very hot candidate)
GNUtar

> - Which fs on the DLE?
Not sure I understand what you're looking for..

> and, pretty important,
>
> - amanda.conf (tapedev, dumptypes for the DLE ...)
Attatched below

> - disklist (at least the DLE that does not work out that well ...)
Here is on server from the disklist file. This entry is for the tape
server itself.

    # Sandbox Server - localhost
    # =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    sandbox     /           tar-compress-root
    sandbox     /home       tar-compress-home
    sandbox     /usr/local  tar-compress

> We will be able to help you much better with those details ;)

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

--
Steve Manuel
System Administrator

org         "FanBuzzInt"                       # your organization name for
reports
mailto      "amanda-admin AT fanbuzz DOT com"      # space separated list
dumpuser    "amanda"                        # the user to run dumps under

inparallel 2            # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel (max 63)
netusage 4096 KBps      # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

dumpcycle 2 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 12 days    # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 48 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
                        # cycle

# Bump Values
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
bumpsize 10 Mb  # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 2      # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 2      # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

# Time Out Values
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
etimeout 1800       # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
dtimeout 1800       # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
ctimeout 30         # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
                    # for each client host

tapebufs 20
# A positive integer telling taper how many 32k buffers to allocate.
# WARNING! If this is set too high, taper will not be able to allocate
# the memory and will die.  The default is 20 (640k).

runtapes 3                                      # number of tapes to be used in
a single run of amdump
tapedev "/dev/nst0"                             # the no-rewind tape device to
be used, -->
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"                          # the tape-changer glue script
changerdev "/dev/sg3"                           # generic scsi device
changerfile "/etc/amanda/daily/hpchanger"

tapetype HP-DAT40                   # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes
below)
labelstr "^FanBuzzInt[0-9][0-9]*$"  # label constraint regex: all tapes must
match

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "first holding disk"
    directory "/disk2/dumps"         # where the holding disk is
    use 0 Gb                    # how much space can we use on it
                                # a non-positive value means:
                                # "use all space but that value"
    chunksize 500 Mb            # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                                # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                                #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                                #       The maximum value should be
                                #       (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                                #       0 same as INT_MAX bytes
    }

holdingdisk hd2 {
    comment "second holding disk"
    directory "/disk3/dumps"
    use 0 Gb
    chunksize 500 Mb
    }

# If amanda cannot find a tape on which to store backups, it will run
# as many backups as it can to the holding disks.  In order to save
# space for unattended backups, by default, amanda will only perform
# incremental backups in this case, i.e., it will reserve 100% of the
# holding disk space for the so-called degraded mode backups.
# However, if you specify a different value for the `reserve'
# parameter, amanda will not degrade backups if they will fit in the
# non-reserved portion of the holding disk.

# reserve 30 # percent
# This means save at least 30% of the holding disk space for degraded
# mode backups.

# The format for a ColumnSpec is a ',' seperated list of triples.
# Each triple consists of
#   + the name of the column (as in ColumnNameStrings)
#   + prefix before the column
#   + the width of the column, if set to -1 it will be recalculated
#     to the maximum length of a line to print.
# Example:
#    "Disk=1:17,HostName=1:10,OutKB=1:7"
# or
#    "Disk=1:-1,HostName=1:10,OutKB=1:7"
#
# You need only specify those colums that should be changed from
# the default. If nothing is specified in the configfile, the
# above compiled in values will be in effect, resulting in an
# output as it was all the time.
# The names of the colums are:
# HostName, Disk, Level, OrigKB, OutKB, Compress, DumpTime, DumpRate,
# TapeTime and TapeRate.
#                     ElB, 1999-02-24.
# columnspec "Disk=1:18,HostName=0:10,OutKB=1:7"
columnspec
"HostName=0:-1,Disk=2:-1,Level=2:1,OrigKB=2:8,OutKB=2:8,DumpRate=2:6,TapeRate=2:8"

infofile "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/curinfo"   # database DIRECTORY
logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/log"       # log directory
indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/index"     # index directory
#tapelist "/var/lib/amanda/DailySet1/tapelist"  # list of used tapes

define tapetype HP-DAT40 {
    comment "Produced by tapetype program Jan 09, 2003"
    length 19432 mbytes
    filemark 76 kbytes
    speed 1762 kps
}

#define tapetype HP-DAT40 {
#    comment "HP DAT 40 specs produced by TapeType"
#    length 17000 mbytes
#    length 19488 mbytes
#    filemark 403 kbytes
#    speed 1575 kps
#}

#define tapetype HP-DAT40i {
#   comment "this definition from
"http://amanda.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/fom?_recurse=1&file=25#file_91";
#   length 19488 mbytes
#   filemark 538 kbytes
#   speed 3073 kbytes
#}

# dumptypes
#
# These are referred to by the disklist file.  The dumptype specifies
# certain parameters for dumping including:
#   auth        - authentication scheme to use between server and client.
#                 Valid values are "bsd" and "krb4".  Default: [auth bsd]
#   comment     - just a comment string
#   comprate    - set default compression rate.  Should be followed by one or
#                 two numbers, optionally separated by a comma.  The 1st is
#                 the full compression rate; the 2nd is the incremental rate.
#                 If the second is omitted, it is assumed equal to the first.
#                 The numbers represent the amount of the original file the
#                 compressed file is expected to take up.
#                 Default: [comprate 0.50, 0.50]
#   compress    - specify compression of the backed up data.  Valid values are:
#                 "none"        - don't compress the dump output.
#                 "client best" - compress on the client using the best (and
#                                 probably slowest) algorithm.
#                 "client fast" - compress on the client using fast algorithm.
#                 "server best" - compress on the tape host using the best (and
#                                 probably slowest) algorithm.
#                 "server fast" - compress on the tape host using a fast
#                                 algorithm.  This may be useful when a fast
#                                 tape host is backing up slow clients.
#                 Default: [compress client fast]
#   dumpcycle   - set the number of days in the dump cycle, ie, set how often a
#                 full dump should be performed.  Default: from DUMPCYCLE above
#   exclude     - specify files and directories to be excluded from the dump.
#                 Useful with gnutar only; silently ignored by dump and samba.
#                 Valid values are:
#                 "pattern"       - a shell glob pattern defining which files
#                                   to exclude.
#                                   gnutar gets --exclude="pattern"
#                 list "filename" - a file (on the client!) containing patterns
#                                   re's (1 per line) defining which files to
#                                   exclude.
#                                   gnutar gets --exclude-from="filename"
#                 Note that the `full pathname' of a file within its
#                 filesystem starts with `./', because of the way amanda runs
#                 gnutar: `tar -C $mountpoint -cf - --lots-of-options .' (note
#                 the final dot!)  Thus, if you're backing up `/usr' with a
#                 diskfile entry like ``host /usr gnutar-root', but you don't
#                 want to backup /usr/tmp, your exclude list should contain
#                 the pattern `./tmp', as this is relative to the `/usr' above.
#                 Please refer to the man-page of gnutar for more information.
#                 If a relative pathname is specified as the exclude list,
#                 it is searched from within the directory that is
#                 going to be backed up.
#                 Default: include all files
#   holdingdisk - should the holding disk be used for this dump.  Useful for
#                 dumping the holding disk itself.  Default: [holdingdisk yes]
#   ignore      - do not back this filesystem up.  Useful for sharing a single
#                 disklist in several configurations.
#   index       - keep an index of the files backed up.  Default: [index no]
#   kencrypt    - encrypt the data stream between the client and server.
#                 Default: [kencrypt no]
#   maxdumps    - max number of concurrent dumps to run on the client.
#                 Default: [maxdumps 1]
#   priority    - priority level of the dump.  Valid levels are "low", "medium"
#                 or "high".  These are really only used when Amanda has no
#                 tape to write to because of some error.  In that "degraded
#                 mode", as many incrementals as will fit on the holding disk
#                 are done, higher priority first, to insure the important
#                 disks are at least dumped.  Default: [priority medium]
#   program     - specify the dump system to use.  Valid values are "DUMP" and
#                 "GNUTAR".  Default: [program "DUMP"].
#   record      - record the dump in /etc/dumpdates.  Default: [record yes]
#   skip-full   - skip the disk when a level 0 is due, to allow full backups
#                 outside Amanda, eg when the machine is in single-user mode.
#   skip-incr   - skip the disk when the level 0 is NOT due.  This is used in
#                 archive configurations, where only full dumps are done and
#                 the tapes saved.
#   starttime   - delay the start of the dump?  Default: no delay
#   strategy    - set the dump strategy.  Valid strategies are currently:
#                 "standard" - the standard one.
#                 "nofull"   - do level 1 dumps every time.  This can be used,
#                              for example, for small root filesystems that
#                              only change slightly relative to a site-wide
#                              prototype.  Amanda then backs up just the
#                              changes.
#                 "noinc"    - do level 0 dumps every time.
#                              Unfortunately, this is not currently
#                              implemented.  Use `dumpcycle 0'
#                              instead.
#                 "skip"     - skip all dumps.  Useful for sharing a single
#                              disklist in several configurations.
#                 "incronly" - do only incremental dumps. This is similar
#                              to strategy 'nofull', but will increase
#                              the dump level as usual. Full dumps will
#                              only be performed when an 'amadmin force'
#                              has been issued
#                 Default: [strategy standard]
#
# Note that you may specify previously defined dumptypes as a shorthand way
# of defining parameters.

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    # This is quite useful for setting global parameters, so you don't have
    # to type them everywhere.  All dumptype definitions in this sample file
    # do include these definitions, either directly or indirectly.
    # There's nothing special about the name `global'; if you create any
    # dumptype that does not contain the word `global' or the name of any
    # other dumptype that contains it, these definitions won't apply.
    # Note that these definitions may be overridden in other
    # dumptypes, if the redefinitions appear *after* the `global'
    # dumptype name.
    # You may want to use this for globally enabling or disabling
    # indexing, recording, etc.  Some examples:
    index yes
    record no
    program "GNUTAR"
    compress client fast
}

# Dumptypes currently in use.
# =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
define dumptype tar-compress-root {
    global
    comment "tar and compress root partition w/exclude list"
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/root-exclude.list"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype tar-compress-home {
    global
    comment "tar and compress home partition w/exclude list"
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/home-exclude.list"
    priority high
}

define dumptype tar-compress-usr_local {
    global
    comment "tar and compress /usr/local partition w/exclude list"
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/usr_local-exclude.list"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype tar-compress-var {
    global
    comment "tar and compress var partition w/exclude list"
    exclude list "/etc/amanda/var-exclude.list"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype tar-compress {
    global
    comment "tar with compression"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype tar-nocompress {
    global
    comment "tar with no compression"
    priority medium
}

define dumptype tar-compress-samba {
    global
    comment "Partitions dumped with tar & compression -- for PC shares"
    priority medium
}

# Definitions below are not used
# =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

define dumptype always-full {
    global
    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
    compress none
    priority high
    dumpcycle 0
}

define dumptype holding-disk {
    global
    comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
    holdingdisk no # do not use the holding disk
    priority medium
}

define dumptype comp-user {
    global
    comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
    compress client fast
    priority medium
}

# network interfaces
#
# These are referred to by the disklist file.  They define the attributes
# of the network interface that the remote machine is accessed through.
# Notes: - netusage above defines the attributes that are used when the
#          disklist entry doesn't specify otherwise.
#        - the values below are only samples.
#        - specifying an interface does not force the traffic to pass
#          through that interface.  Your OS routing tables do that.  This
#          is just a mechanism to stop Amanda trashing your network.
# Attributes are:
#   use      - bandwidth above which amanda won't start
#           backups using this interface.  Note that if
#           a single backup will take more than that,
#           amanda won't try to make it run slower!

define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 1000 kbps
}

define interface le0 {
    comment "10 Mbps ethernet"
    use 1000 kbps
}

#includefile "/usr/local/amanda.conf.main"