Amanda-Users

Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps

2004-01-17 14:17:05
Subject: Re: Level 1 dumps acting like level 0 dumps
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:15:19 +0100
Hi, Jon,

on Samstag, 17. Jänner 2004 at 20:03 you wrote to amanda-users:

JL> On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 12:35:28PM -0600, Steve Manuel wrote:
>>
>> Sure, I'll do that and let the list know. For the record (no pun
>> intended), where in the docs does is say that GNUtar need the
>> parameter "record" set to yes? I assumed it was only for DUMP? Where I
>> got that assumption I don't remember. However, if this works maybe
>> this should be more explicitly stated?

JL> From "man amanda"

JL>      record "boolean"
JL>           Default:  yes.  Whether to ask the  backup  program  to
JL>           update  its  database  (e.g.  /etc/dumpdates)  of  time
JL>           stamps.  This is normally enabled for daily backups and
JL>           turned off for periodic archival runs.

JL> It would be tough to list the database name for every
JL> dump program out there (dump, ufsdump, xfsdump, ...).
JL> So it says "e.g." (such as), not exclusively or limited to.

Reading the comments in amanda.conf was not enough info, as it
seems ;)

So in this case the gnutar-lists get updated, I conclude.

I will try to make that point more explicit in the
example/amanda.conf.

It says:

> record      - record the dump in /etc/dumpdates.  Default: [record yes]

which may lead to assume it doesnŽt matter for GNUtar as has happened
for Steve in this case.

--
best regards,
Stefan