Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues

2010-05-24 22:56:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 12:53:50 +1000

> After returning to my office this morning, I had found the server was
> connected to a 10/100 switch.  I had moved it to the rack and
connected it to
> the switch 10/100/1000 and nic 1 pulls 1000 on ethtools
> nic 2 pulls 100 on ethtools.
>
> After futher investigation, it looks like nic 2 is capped at 100 mb/s.
>
> Even running on 1 nic, my speeds have jumped up to a max of 8 Mb/s
with an avg
> of 3 - 4 Mb/s when doing backups over the net.
>
> A little better but not where it should be.
>
> I'm at a loss for the moment.

iperf should be able to tell you what the link is capable of.

Also, be aware that server network cards often support checksum offload
and large tcp packet offload. These can give you a significant
performance boost, but if there are any bugs in the driver or firmware
they cause all sorts of strange problems.

James