Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues

2010-05-25 08:49:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Alan Brown" <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>, "Morty Abzug" <morty AT frakir DOT org>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 22:26:37 +1000

> Morty Abzug wrote:
>
> > This sort of problem is typical of a speed/duplex mismatch.  That
is,
> > either your switch or your server is hardcoding the speed of your
> > network port, and the other end is using different settings.
>
> A lot of network admins still believe the best way to run a network is
> with port speeds locked.
>
> IMO that should have been deprecated for around a decade as
> autonegotiation works better except in certain edge cases (mainly
> involving ancient equipment or cabling)
>
> Hardcoding port settings causes far more problems than it solves.

I hear you. I've lost count of the number of times I've had that
argument. If autonegotiation doesn't work then something is broken and
it should be fixed by fixing/replacing the hardware, not by tinkering
with the speed and duplex settings. Maybe 10-15 years ago, but not now.

I have never seen a case that justified locking the speed and duplex
that wasn't caused by some other underlying issue (firmware upgrade
required, bad cable, etc).

James