Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues

2010-05-24 21:17:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues
From: Morty Abzug <morty AT frakir DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:15:37 -0400
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 02:04:15PM -0400, skipunk wrote:

> Even running on 1 nic, my speeds have jumped up to a max of 8 Mb/s with an
> avg of 3 - 4 Mb/s when doing backups over the net.
>
> A little better but not where it should be.
>
> I'm at a loss for the moment.

Test your network connection using some other tool between the server
in question and some other system, in a way that doesn't involve your
disk or your tape, just the network.  iperf is handy, or you can use
dd with netcat or socat.

This sort of problem is typical of a speed/duplex mismatch.  That is,
either your switch or your server is hardcoding the speed of your
network port, and the other end is using different settings.

- Morty