Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bulk] Re: Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup

2010-05-14 10:55:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bulk] Re: Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup
From: Foo <bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:53:18 +0200
On Wed, 12 May 2010 13:04:20 +0200, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT
com>
wrote:

> No, they don't. Microsoft basically takes a very sensible position, in
> my mind: "we only provide a basic tool. If you don't like it, you can
> get third-party tools". Think of Windows Backup (or NTBackup) as the
> backup equivalent of Notepad.

In my eyes this boils down to a powergrab where functionality is reduced
in order to displace third parties.

Like others I want a cross platform, flexible solution, but more
importantly there are design, cost and security implications.

For a registry backup with ntbackup there is no change needed, using
wbadmin requires an infrastructure change: either adding localized storage
(for keeping one full + incrementals), inefficiently expanding storage on
the Bacula end (for cycling full backups) or giving machines access to the
Bacula back end. These have cost, (network) design and security
implications, any one of which will prohibit using wbadmin here.