Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup

2010-05-12 07:06:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 04:04:20 -0700

No, they don't. Microsoft basically takes a very sensible position, in my mind:
"we only provide a basic tool. If you don't like it, you can get third-party
tools". Think of Windows Backup (or NTBackup) as the backup equivalent of
Notepad.

Basically, what happened was that NTBackup simply got too convoluted and
unwieldy over time. It had to be aware of all kinds of special applications
such as Exchange and SQL Server. It also doesn't support incremental and
differential backups very well (you have to manually figure out which files to
restore in which order). I suspect that NTBackup also would have problems with
the internal changes to Windows, such as the SxS architecture (the root cause
of the proliferation of junction points).

Windows Backup really is very, very good - a major improvement over NTBackup.
What looks like a weakness at first (it can only back up whole drives, not
individual files or directories) is actually its greatest strength. The key is
understanding that Windows Backup is conceptually closer to Norton Ghost than
to NTBackup. By the way, that change is something many of the other backup
vendors are also making.

Because Windows Backup goes down to the sector or block level, it can back up
basically anything that is on your hard disk - Exchange, SQL Server, virtual
machines, registries, active directory, junction points, case-sensitive files,
files with multiple data streams, and all those other pesky things that needed
special handling in NTBackup. It can also back up only a few changed blocks
from right in the middle of a large file.

You can still download a read-only version of NTBackup. This is intended to
read existing .bkf files from earlier versions of Windows, but it cannot create
.bkf files.