Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup

2010-05-13 01:37:36
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup
From: Koldo Santisteban <ksantisteban AT gmail DOT com>
To: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:32:38 +0200
Yes that´s true. For that reason, i think, It is very interesting that people share their experience about Windows 2008. I have mixed systems, linux centos, RedHat, Debian, windows 2000, Windows 2003 and now , of course, windows 2008. I think that this is the situation of many people and is very interesting to define best practices about bacula and Windows 2008. I don´t want to deal with different backup systems for each OS.
This is my behavior on Windows 2008 with bacula:
  1. On monthly basis (or when i have enough time :-P): Windows backup to external storage (Full backup, all drives).
  2. On weekly basis: System state backup using wbadmin to local server disks
  3. Daily: Using bacula, Monday to Saturday incremental, Sunday differential. First Sunday each two months, full backup.
This is my configuration for non "file-role" server. I hope that this is enough in case a disaster recovery. If someone knows how to eliminate "external" steps (regarding Windows and wbadmin backups), or add something else, please share here!!

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie> wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Kevin Keane wrote:

> Because Windows Backup goes down to the sector or block level, it can
> back up basically anything that is on your hard disk - Exchange, SQL
> Server, virtual machines, registries, active directory, junction points,
> case-sensitive files, files with multiple data streams, and all those
> other pesky things that needed special handling in NTBackup. It can also
> back up only a few changed blocks from right in the middle of a large
> file.

So I guess the question in my mind is, how does this differ from Bacula,
supposing you back up C:\, D:\, etc. using VSS?

 - It apparently can back up a "patch" to a changed file which Bacula
  doesn't currently.

 - It sounds like the restore method is more streamlined.  In Bacula (I
  believe) you need to manually set up disk partitions, format NTFS and
  set up a bacula-fd, then restore onto the fresh NTFS partitions and
  update the MBR.  This is tedious and a bit complex.

Is there something that Bacula can't do here?  Is the Bacula way likely to
go wrong in some way?

I'd just prefer not to have to deal with multiple different backup methods.
One of the great joys of Bacula is that we now have a single backup system
which we can teach any sysadmin to use and he knows how to restore files,
regardless of the platform.

Gavin