Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup

2010-05-11 04:13:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:11:17 +0200
On 05/11/10 10:04 AM, Graham Keeling wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:51:52AM +1000, James Harper wrote:
>> With full VSS support, VSS defines the files that make up the system
>> state backup - it's a flag on the writer. Bacula handles junction
>> points perfectly.
>
> So, to get a backup with Windows 2008 that includes the system state, you need
> to set a flag on the writer.
> Do you know how to set that flag?

wbadmin can do system state backups - you do not need to set any VSS
flags for that :

"wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:C: -quiet"

If you are storing your system state backup on C you'll need to apply
the reg fix as pointed out in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944530 first.

Simply put, Windows programs can register as 'VSS writers' and then get
informed whenever a VSS snapshot is requested and act on that.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen
henrik AT scannet DOT dk