Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup

2010-05-12 07:41:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:38:54 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, 12 May 2010, Kevin Keane wrote:

> Because Windows Backup goes down to the sector or block level, it can
> back up basically anything that is on your hard disk - Exchange, SQL
> Server, virtual machines, registries, active directory, junction points,
> case-sensitive files, files with multiple data streams, and all those
> other pesky things that needed special handling in NTBackup. It can also
> back up only a few changed blocks from right in the middle of a large
> file.

So I guess the question in my mind is, how does this differ from Bacula,
supposing you back up C:\, D:\, etc. using VSS?

 - It apparently can back up a "patch" to a changed file which Bacula
   doesn't currently.

 - It sounds like the restore method is more streamlined.  In Bacula (I
   believe) you need to manually set up disk partitions, format NTFS and
   set up a bacula-fd, then restore onto the fresh NTFS partitions and
   update the MBR.  This is tedious and a bit complex.

Is there something that Bacula can't do here?  Is the Bacula way likely to
go wrong in some way?

I'd just prefer not to have to deal with multiple different backup methods.
One of the great joys of Bacula is that we now have a single backup system
which we can teach any sysadmin to use and he knows how to restore files,
regardless of the platform.

Gavin