Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup

2010-05-11 10:01:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows 2008/2008r2 Server backup
From: Koldo Santisteban <ksantisteban AT gmail DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 15:59:32 +0200
Yes, that´s true. But it makes very complicate to maintain backups with Windows 2008 and Bacula. Wih windows 2003 a system state backup and a bacula backup a full restore was possible.

Foo, could you explain wich product is "ADS"??  is open source?

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:51:33 +0200, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT com>
> wrote:
>
> > There is no such thing as "system state backup" any more in Windows
> > 2008. It's always the whole C: drive. I'm not sure how well bacula
> > handles it in the end. There also is the issue that Windows 2008 relies
> > heavily on junction points, which bacula doesn't handle well.
>
> My experience so far mirrors yours but others are apparently disagreeing.
> I'm getting confused :)
>
> wbadmin GUI has options for selecting 'system state' and unselecting drive
> letters, except it didn't work for me (canceled after it had started
> including 60000+ files). This seems to agree with you on including
> everything, but I don't understand the point of system state then, or of
> being able to unselect C:.
>
> > I'm using Windows backup to an iSCSI drive, and then use bacula to back
> > up a snapshot of that iSCSI volume.
>
> Is the result of that a monolothic blob like W2K3's ntbackup .bkf or
> single files? If it's a monolithic blob, Bacula can't do incrementals
> anymore. If it's single files, you would have to keep them around for
> incrementals and basically waste twice as much space everywhere, not to
> mention whatever problems junctions points becoming files presents.
> Whatever it may be, it just seems pointless.

You might want to consider having two backups, for different purposes.  Use a
Windows full backup for disaster recovery and Full+Incremental Bacula backups
for per-file recovery.

__Martin