BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-23 13:01:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:59:26 -0800
On 11/22/2012 02:45 PM, Michael Stowe wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> This is the second time around for restore problems. I need to do a full
>> restore and am having problems building the tar file. I am no longer
>> willing to fool with the command line method. I spent days trying to get
>> things to work. I don't have time to fiddle with it any more. I find the
>> instructions vague.
>>
> This really defies logic and reason; frankly, I'm pretty sure that if
> "type these things" is vague at the command line, I'd have absolutely no
> ability to walk you through what to click on, especially without seeing
> your screen.
>
> In either case, it would be difficult to avoid some *nix basics or
> troubleshooting, like the ability to identify directories or look at logs.
>
> Perhaps somebody will consider this an interesting challenge, like trying
> to restore systems while wearing a blindfold or without a keyboard, but to
> me it really seems to convey an artificial unwillingness to actually try
> known solutions.  For all I know you're simply out of space, but you'd
> have to be willing to actually look.

Michael:

I will be the first to admit that I should have included more
information with the message than I did. But I am very frustrated. I've
been working with computers for over 40 years ( Yes they go back that
far), Have 15 years experience with Debian linux, have a degree in
mathematics and physics and spent the last 5 years of my work carrier as
a computer programmer. I also spent a good percentage  of my carrier
tech writing and I find the quality of documentation in the linux world
sub-standard. I will admit that writing good documentation is hard but
it is also absolutely necessary. If you want a real eye opener, do what
I used to do, find a computer knowledgeable person (secretary, wife)
that knows nothing about your program, hand it to them and sit back and
take notes. Rewrite the documentation until there are no more questions.

Check with the  reply to Arnold Krille's message for more substantive
information.

Gary R.