BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] newbie: backupPC installed ok, but trouble with 1st backup

2012-11-22 22:40:09
Subject: [BackupPC-users] newbie: backupPC installed ok, but trouble with 1st backup
From: Matthew Grob <mgrob AT grobfamily DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 19:16:47 -0800
Hello folks.  I'm a newbie to backupPC.   I believe i'm very close to having it
work but something (probably obvious) is not complete or correct:

-backupPC installed just fine - used apt-get install method, Ubuntu machine
with new updates

-backupPC is running (the status page shows the PID, etc).   apache/cgi
interface works great.  very nice.

-configured to use rsync transfer method

-entered hostname. (i didn't set the DHCP flag, i didn't set a email user
either).   note: the client machine is not on the same subnet as the server.
the machines are 2 thousand miles apart.

-i restarted backupPC just to ensure the config files are properly read in (but
i probably didn't need to do that)

-in the rsync method, there are no variables for username and password, so
instead I followed the instructions to configure ssh.  created the keys and
copied them and tested that.  I can ssh from the server machine when logged in
as the backupPC user to the client machine root access w/o typing any passwords
etc.  so that works.

-for more than a year, i have been rsyncing from the same server machine (at
mom's house) to my machine here at home for the purpose of backups.  So i'm
confident the connectivity is there.

-both machines are behind a NAT with ports fwded for ssh and html and few
others.  Both machines have host names and domains from dyndns. The ip address
almost never changes though - months go by w/o changes.

OK so here's the problem - when i issue the command to start a full backup,
nothing happens.  there is nothing in the queue, no log of a failed attempted,
nothing.  (there is a log in the server that says a full backup was requested)

-backupPC status seems to report nothing in the queue and no attempts made.  It
does report that there were no ping responses, but that is expected, since icmp
is blocked between these two machines.

-I left all the backup settings and schedule settings unchanged from default.
the rysyncsharename is /.   However later i want to specify some
include/exclude overrides, but i'll wait until the basic thing is working first.

Is there any easy way to test basic functionality?  Any obvious missing steps
in the above?

thanks for any info

Matt