BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-26 18:14:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 14:41:46 -0800
On 11/24/2012 03:28 PM, Michael Stowe wrote:
>> I've been using Debian Linux for about 15 year. I spent 5 years as a
>> programmer and about 40 year working with computers. I do no how to read
>> documentation. I wrote enough of it in my work career. My degree in
>> mathematics doesn't hurt either. Tone down your rhetoric a little.
>>
> I assume "I do no how" was being delightfully ironic, because otherwise,
> this seems rather defensive.  As somebody who hires a lot of programmers,
> I've seen a ton of difference between somebody who has lived with and
> studied something for years, and one who just used it for years.  I'm not
> making a judgment here, but if you really want to tout your *nix
> qualifications, "I'm a 15 year old German" would really be worth a lot
> more than having a math degree.
>
> I've written code longer than you've used computers, and I know it's easy
> to lose sight of what information beginners lack.  The group here is
> generally willing to help with anything, but like anybody, they become
> less willing to help if they feel you're not making an honest effort
> (again, this is said without judgment on my part.)
>

>> Define correctly. The GUI "contents of backup" shows the "entry
>> directory" as "/" (no parens) . The "contents of backup" shows:
>>           backuppc
>>           |_ etc
>>           |_home
>>           |_root
>>           |_var
>>
>> Var has a list of excluded files. The rest are complete. Lets call the
>> backed up computer  BC. The GUI shows the last full backup for BC as
>> #169 with a #170 incrimental backup.  After su-ing to backuppc I get the
>> following:
>>
>>      $ cd /usr/share/backuppc/bin
>>      $ ./BackupPC_tarCreate -h BC -n 169 -s />
>>
> You've left out a parameter here; it's the share name.  Or, possibly, the
> directory to restore, if your share name happens to be '/' (which it
> appears to be from what you say above.)  I'm assuming the host name is
> actually "BC" here, and that wherever you're redirecting the output to has
> enough space, you can write to it, and so forth.
>
> BackupPC_tarCreate -h [hostname] -n -1 -s [sharename] [directory]
>
> becomes
>
> BackupPC_tarCreate -h BC -n -1 -s / />  ~/bc.tar
>
> Note that putting the resulting file in /usr/share/backuppc/bin is
> unconventional, and probably unwise.

Yes Michael. Ironic. On the other hand I probably owe Les an apology. I
got back from vacation to find own of my systems crashed, I was sick for
a week with the flu, I am going in for hip replacement surgery in
February, am taking pain meds that make the thought processes a bit
fuzzy and  am really frustrated. Now another problem has cropped up that
has nothing to do with backuppc that I have to fix first. Again, thanks
to all. I'll be back here soon. I hope!

Gary R.