BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-24 12:34:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 11:32:57 -0600
On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:

> PS: I don't want to tease you, but when deploying a backup system, the first
> thing to check is if restore works as expected and has all the needed stuff.
> And one should do that well before one needs it...
>
> Yes. Anyone doing backup work should have your PS stamped on their forehead
> or there butt which ever is closer to their brains. I think in my case its
> probably the latter.

Or, spend a few minutes learning the documentation conventions when
starting with a new operating system.   Knowing things like what []'s
and ... mean when shown as command usage (and that the lack of []'s
means an argument is not optional there) can save years of
frustration.

> I started thinking that all of the GUI information runs through Apache2 so I
> turned logging up to debug and made another attempt at creating a tar file.
> Lo and behold, I got the following error message in the Apache error log:
>
> [Date stuff] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Out of memory! referrer:
> http//backupsystem/backuppc/index.cgi
>
> I then opened a systems monitor program, re-ran things again and watched the
> system ram max out and then the swap file start filling up. When the swap
> file got to about 1.2GB the process quit. The swap file should be about 2 GB
> so I am not sure what is going on here. If the problem is with my Apache
> setup it might explain why no one else is having the problem. Any ideas?

That doesn't sound normal.  Are you using a ramdisk-based /tmp file
system - and maybe a configuration set up to cache everything?
Also, if your client is on the same host, where is it storing what it
receives?

And does the same thing happen if you type the BackupPC_tarCreate
command line correctly?