BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-23 12:59:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 09:57:29 -0800
On 11/22/2012 12:32 PM, Arnold Krille wrote:
Hi,

On Thursday 22 November 2012 11:58:16 Gary Roach wrote:

This is the second time around for restore problems. I need to do a full
restore and am having problems building the tar file. I am no longer
willing to fool with the command line method. I spent days trying to get
things to work. I don't have time to fiddle with it any more. I find the
instructions vague.

The real problem is with the GUI. Check out the following:

     1. I selected the system from the left hand menu that I wish to
restore.
     2. I selected the full backup #. In this case #169. This listed the
backed up directories etc, var,             root and home.
     3. I selected all and check marks appeared by all of the directories.
     4. I hit "Restore selected files". The restore method page appeared.
     5. I selected method 3 (tar file ) and left the "Make archive
relative to /" checked since I don't                 understand what it
does. The save file screen appeared and I selected save. This created
           a restore.tar file in my /home/gary/Download directory.

Now the file that was created was 331MB. Unfortunately it should be
21GB. Backuppc only restored the directory structure and some of the
files that were in the first tier of directories. None of the lower
level files were restored. I have tried breaking up the backup into
individual directores (ie etc, var, home, root) but with essentially the
same result. Beyond about the 2nd tier transfer is unreliable. I have
checked the backup archives and they contain all of the data. The data
is there but I can't get it back.

This won't help you but following the steps you write above I just created a
full tarball of one of my hosts /etc-shares. From an incremental-backup
(incremental is about file-transfer at backup-time, not about restore) and via
gui. And the downloaded resotre.tar contains all the files down several levels
and with correct permissions. At least thats what ark tells me.

My backup system is running Wheezy and my system being backed up is running Squeeze.
Did you take a good look at the logfiles during the creation of your restore-
file? Did you try to debug the problem? (apart from "I don't understand how you
can work with it, its not working for me")

Have fun,

Arnold

PS: I don't want to tease you, but when deploying a backup system, the first
thing to check is if restore works as expected and has all the needed stuff.
And one should do that well before one needs it...
Yes. Anyone doing backup work should have your PS stamped on their forehead or there butt which ever is closer to their brains. I think in my case its probably the latter.

I started thinking that all of the GUI information runs through Apache2 so I turned logging up to debug and made another attempt at creating a tar file. Lo and behold, I got the following error message in the Apache error log:

[Date stuff] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Out of memory! referrer: http//backupsystem/backuppc/index.cgi

I then opened a systems monitor program, re-ran things again and watched the system ram max out and then the swap file start filling up. When the swap file got to about 1.2GB the process quit. The swap file should be about 2 GB so I am not sure what is going on here. If the problem is with my Apache setup it might explain why no one else is having the problem. Any ideas?

Gary R.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Monitor your physical, virtual and cloud infrastructure from a single web console. Get in-depth insight into apps, servers, databases, vmware, SAP, cloud infrastructure, etc. Download 30-day Free Trial. Pricing starts from $795 for 25 servers or applications! http://p.sf.net/sfu/zoho_dev2dev_nov