BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-24 16:36:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 15:34:08 -0600
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Gary Roach
<gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net> wrote:

> Or, spend a few minutes learning the documentation conventions when
> starting with a new operating system.   Knowing things like what []'s
> and ... mean when shown as command usage (and that the lack of []'s
> means an argument is not optional there) can save years of
> frustration.
>

> I've been using Debian Linux for about 15 year. I spent 5 years as a
> programmer and about 40 year working with computers. I do no how to read
> documentation. I wrote enough of it in my work career. My degree in
> mathematics doesn't hurt either. Tone down your rhetoric a little.

My comment wasn't about general knowledge or documentation - just the
specifics relating to unix terminology and conventions for man pages
and summaries.  You won't learn those things anywhere else and if you
guess at their meaning you will likely be wrong.

> When I do a GUI tar restore the the standard kde save file screen pops up
> and the files are copied to the OS hard drive from the backup hard drive. A
> restore.tar file is created in my /home/gary/Downloads directory.

GUI's like to hide what they are really doing from you.  It wouldn't
surprise me if Firefox did the download to /tmp first and then moved
it.   I've had trouble with the windows version stupidly writing a tmp
copy somewhere that it wouldn't fit.    Backuppc and apache shouldn't
need much /tmp space, but if the output is going there and the total
space is limited to RAM and swap you would run out.   Have you tried
the GUI approach from a different machine?

> I do not
> appear to be using a ramdisk based system. But then with my lack of
> knowledge as to what is going on with this setup, any thing is possible. How
> would I tell for sure.

I think 'mount' might tell you.   But google found this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/06/msg00311.html  that
implies that tempfs is now the default for debian /tmp and it causes
some odd problems (I mostly use CentOS myself and haven't run into
this).

> And does the same thing happen if you type the BackupPC_tarCreate
> command line correctly?
>

> Define correctly.

When you supply the non-optional 'files/directory' pattern.

> $ ./BackupPC_tarCreate -h BC -n 169 -s / > /var/lib/backuppc/restore.tar

> usage: ./BackupPC_tarCreate [options] files/directories...
>
> The only thing fuzzy about this is what should go after -s . I've tried
> several different things with the same results.

/ is probably correct for the parameter for -s - it should be name
defined for the backuppc 'share'.   But - the piece you are missing is
the pattern to define the files/directories you want included in tar
image.

> I've tried -s / / and also tried -s /etc. Nothing works.

Please copy/paste your actual command and the result where you use:
./BackupPC_tarCreate -h BC -n 169 -s /  /

If you still get that 'usage: ' message, then make sure the argument
to -h is the hostname as known to backuppc and -s is the sharename.
When the command is syntactically correct you won't get the 'usage: '
error output.

Also, you should also be able to use - n 170 if you want the latest
version even though it was an incremental.  Backuppc will
transparently merge the backing full into the output.