BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-22 15:34:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 21:32:54 +0100
Hi,

On Thursday 22 November 2012 11:58:16 Gary Roach wrote:
> This is the second time around for restore problems. I need to do a full
> restore and am having problems building the tar file. I am no longer
> willing to fool with the command line method. I spent days trying to get
> things to work. I don't have time to fiddle with it any more. I find the
> instructions vague.
>
> The real problem is with the GUI. Check out the following:
>
>      1. I selected the system from the left hand menu that I wish to
> restore.
>      2. I selected the full backup #. In this case #169. This listed the
> backed up directories etc, var,             root and home.
>      3. I selected all and check marks appeared by all of the directories.
>      4. I hit "Restore selected files". The restore method page appeared.
>      5. I selected method 3 (tar file ) and left the "Make archive
> relative to /" checked since I don't                 understand what it
> does. The save file screen appeared and I selected save. This created
>            a restore.tar file in my /home/gary/Download directory.
>
> Now the file that was created was 331MB. Unfortunately it should be
> 21GB. Backuppc only restored the directory structure and some of the
> files that were in the first tier of directories. None of the lower
> level files were restored. I have tried breaking up the backup into
> individual directores (ie etc, var, home, root) but with essentially the
> same result. Beyond about the 2nd tier transfer is unreliable. I have
> checked the backup archives and they contain all of the data. The data
> is there but I can't get it back.

This won't help you but following the steps you write above I just created a
full tarball of one of my hosts /etc-shares. From an incremental-backup
(incremental is about file-transfer at backup-time, not about restore) and via
gui. And the downloaded resotre.tar contains all the files down several levels
and with correct permissions. At least thats what ark tells me.

Did you take a good look at the logfiles during the creation of your restore-
file? Did you try to debug the problem? (apart from "I don't understand how you
can work with it, its not working for me")

Have fun,

Arnold

PS: I don't want to tease you, but when deploying a backup system, the first
thing to check is if restore works as expected and has all the needed stuff.
And one should do that well before one needs it...