BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-22 15:00:06
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:58:16 -0800
Hi

This is the second time around for restore problems. I need to do a full
restore and am having problems building the tar file. I am no longer
willing to fool with the command line method. I spent days trying to get
things to work. I don't have time to fiddle with it any more. I find the
instructions vague.

The real problem is with the GUI. Check out the following:

     1. I selected the system from the left hand menu that I wish to
restore.
     2. I selected the full backup #. In this case #169. This listed the
backed up directories etc, var,             root and home.
     3. I selected all and check marks appeared by all of the directories.
     4. I hit "Restore selected files". The restore method page appeared.
     5. I selected method 3 (tar file ) and left the "Make archive
relative to /" checked since I don't                 understand what it
does. The save file screen appeared and I selected save. This created
           a restore.tar file in my /home/gary/Download directory.

Now the file that was created was 331MB. Unfortunately it should be
21GB. Backuppc only restored the directory structure and some of the
files that were in the first tier of directories. None of the lower
level files were restored. I have tried breaking up the backup into
individual directores (ie etc, var, home, root) but with essentially the
same result. Beyond about the 2nd tier transfer is unreliable. I have
checked the backup archives and they contain all of the data. The data
is there but I can't get it back.

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R.