BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.

2012-11-24 18:30:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problems.
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 17:28:55 -0600
> I've been using Debian Linux for about 15 year. I spent 5 years as a
> programmer and about 40 year working with computers. I do no how to read
> documentation. I wrote enough of it in my work career. My degree in
> mathematics doesn't hurt either. Tone down your rhetoric a little.

I assume "I do no how" was being delightfully ironic, because otherwise,
this seems rather defensive.  As somebody who hires a lot of programmers,
I've seen a ton of difference between somebody who has lived with and
studied something for years, and one who just used it for years.  I'm not
making a judgment here, but if you really want to tout your *nix
qualifications, "I'm a 15 year old German" would really be worth a lot
more than having a math degree.

I've written code longer than you've used computers, and I know it's easy
to lose sight of what information beginners lack.  The group here is
generally willing to help with anything, but like anybody, they become
less willing to help if they feel you're not making an honest effort
(again, this is said without judgment on my part.)

> Define correctly. The GUI "contents of backup" shows the "entry
> directory" as "/" (no parens) . The "contents of backup" shows:
>          backuppc
>          |_ etc
>          |_home
>          |_root
>          |_var
>
> Var has a list of excluded files. The rest are complete. Lets call the
> backed up computer  BC. The GUI shows the last full backup for BC as
> #169 with a #170 incrimental backup.  After su-ing to backuppc I get the
> following:
>
>     $ cd /usr/share/backuppc/bin
>     $ ./BackupPC_tarCreate -h BC -n 169 -s / >

You've left out a parameter here; it's the share name.  Or, possibly, the
directory to restore, if your share name happens to be '/' (which it
appears to be from what you say above.)  I'm assuming the host name is
actually "BC" here, and that wherever you're redirecting the output to has
enough space, you can write to it, and so forth.

BackupPC_tarCreate -h [hostname] -n -1 -s [sharename] [directory]

becomes

BackupPC_tarCreate -h BC -n -1 -s / / > ~/bc.tar

Note that putting the resulting file in /usr/share/backuppc/bin is
unconventional, and probably unwise.