BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted

2012-04-21 17:17:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:15:51 -0500
On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:

>   Error connecting to module backuppc at localhost:873: unexpected
> response: ''
>   Got fatal error during xfer (unexpected response: '')
>   Backup aborted (unexpected response: '')
>   Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
> prior
>   one  (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>
> Now this appears to be more of an rsync problem than a backuppc problem.
> Manually running rsync produces some of the following results:
>
>   root@ctech:/etc# rsync ctech:/home
>   root@ctech's password:
>   drwxr-xr-x        4096 2012/04/08 17:13:11 home
> Which seems to be syntax for not using the daemon. Password needed.

Yes, that's going to run over ssh - if you want that, use rsync in
backuppc, not rsyncd.   That will work even for localhost if you set
up ssh keys.

>   root@ctech:/etc# rsync ctech::
>   backuppc        The module for backuppc to use
> Which returns the modules available on ctech

That looks OK.

>   root@ctech:/etc# rsync backuppc@ctech::backuppc /home
>   Password:
>   @ERROR: auth failed on module backuppc
>   rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
> main.c(1524)
>   [Receiver=3.0.7]
> Which is an attempt to use the daemon in the same way that BackupPC would do
> it. Note that it still asks for a password even though the rsyncd.conf file
> supposedly supplies this.

Rsyncd tells it to ask for a password.  But that should be OK if the
user/password matches what backuppc supplies.

> The rsyncd.conf file is:
>
>   #rsync daemon configuuration file
>       motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd

I'd get rid of the motd entry.  Backuppc doesn;t

>       log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
>       pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
>       lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock
>
>       [backuppc]
>     path = /
>     comment = The module for backuppc to use
>     uid = nobody
>     gid = nogroup

Is that sufficient to read all the files you want to back up?

>     read only = no
>     list = yes
>     auth users = backuppc, gary, root, diane
>     secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt
>
> Note that Debian has no group named nobody so nogroup is used instead.
>
> I found dozens of references to the rsync error message, for various
> programs that use rsyncd but ablsolutely no resolution of the problem.
>
> Any help will be appreciated!!!!

Personally I just use rsync over ssh for localhost connections just
like any other linux target so it isn't a special case.   But I use
rsyncd on windows and it should work too.   You just need to run the
daemon as a user with sufficient access, connect as an allowed user
with the right password, and not send any extraneous text first.