BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted

2012-04-22 20:12:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 17:10:13 -0700
On 04/22/2012 12:21 PM, Arnold Krille wrote:
On Sunday 22 April 2012 09:04:06 Gary Roach wrote:

I think we are going a bit astray here. I have two other computers that
need backup but am not talking about them because it is useless until I
can get localhost to work. I don't want to be using two different
methods. I think I am fighting a security issue at this point. I'm still
working on the problem.

Why?

Why do you want to backup all hosts with the same method? Do you also try to
backup windows machines with rsync(d)?
Use the best tool available for the job! When the backup is local, run local
rsync (with sudo to get rights). When the backup is a remote machine, use
ssh+rsync. When the remote machine is win, use smb... Or use tar if you like
that better...

Arnold

It's interesting that you should suggest this since I have found several references that say that rsyncd is the best choice if you have mixed machines. This has gone beyond just functionality for me. This should have been the easiest method to setup and has turned into a mess. I hear what you are saying but I would like to solve this problem. Besides, how do I know that any of the others will be any easier. I already tried to setup ssh for 2 way, passwordless communication and gave up. Without that rsync won't work. So lets try one more time.

There is something really wrong with my whole password setup.
1) BackupPC is running as backuppc.
2) rsyncd is running as root.
3) strict modes is turned off in the rsyncd.conf file. This solved the
problem of not being able to get to the rsyncd.scrts file.
4) rsyncd.scrts has user password pairs for every possible user.
5) The rsyncd.log shows:

  2012/04/22 16:38:28 [11741] connect from localhost (127.0.0.1)
  2012/04/22 16:38:28 [11741] auth failed on module backuppc from localhost
  (127.0.0.1): password mismatch

6) The XferLOG shows:
  full backup started for directory backuppc
  Connected to localhost:873, remote version 30
  Negotiated protocol version 28
  Got response: 6ad662d801744ae7d8c96693c270af35
  Auth: got challenge: kEkYN4x2ktWin2PMr6+XHg, reply: backuppc
  atZi2AF0SufYyWaTwnCvNQ
  Error connecting to module backuppc at localhost:873: auth failed on module
  backuppc
  Got fatal error during xfer (auth failed on module backuppc)
  Backup aborted (auth failed on module backuppc)
  Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
  one  (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

7) Backuppc is assigned a valid password and is also included in the rout
   group.Root is included in the backuppc group.

This is obviously a colossal password SNAFU and I have run out of ideas. I
can't believe that rsync should be so hard to set up.

Help!!!

Gary R.