BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted

2012-04-22 20:42:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:41:25 -0500
On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:

> It's interesting that you should suggest this since I have found several
> references that say that rsyncd is the best choice if you have mixed
> machines.

There is no need to use the same method for all machines.  Use
whatever works best for each.

>This has gone beyond just functionality for me. This should have
> been the easiest method to setup and has turned into a mess. I hear what you
> are saying but I would like to solve this problem. Besides, how do I know
> that any of the others will be any easier. I already tried to setup ssh for
> 2 way, passwordless communication and gave up.

What do you mean by 2 way?   You only need to let the backuppc user on
the server side connect as root on the client.   It doesn't matter if
those are the same machines.   If your linux distribution has
ssh-copy-id it will do all the work for you.

> There is something really wrong with my whole password setup.
> 1) BackupPC is running as backuppc.
> 2) rsyncd is running as root.

But didn't you set a non-root uid in conf file you posted?  Is that
uid even able to read the scrts file?

> 7) Backuppc is assigned a valid password and is also included in the rout
>    group.Root is included in the backuppc group.

Are the things that matter group readable?