BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted

2012-04-21 14:58:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup aborted
From: Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 11:55:12 -0700
On 04/20/2012 05:44 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Gary Roach<gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
>  wrote:
>

>> Still having what looks like permission problems. I changed RsyncShareName
>> to backuppc_setup which is the name of the module in rsyncd.conf. I now get:
>>
>> Contents of file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/XferLOG.bad.z, modified
>> 2012-04-20 16:57:34 (Extracting only Errors)
>>
>> full backup started for directory backuppc_setup
>> Error connecting to rsync daemon at localhost:873: inet connect: Connection
>> refused
>>
> Iptables?   You can test an rsyncd connection with  'rsync
> IP_address::module_name'.   You might get better diagnostics.  Note
> the double colon and if you don't specify a destination, you'll get a
> listing of the source.

OK. I am now confused beyond belief. When I attempt a backup on
localhost I get
the following error message:

   Contents of file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/localhost/XferLOG.bad.z, modified
   2012-04-21 09:53:26

   full backup started for directory backuppc
   Connected to localhost:873, remote version 30
   Negotiated protocol version 28
   Error connecting to module backuppc at localhost:873: unexpected
response: ''
   Got fatal error during xfer (unexpected response: '')
   Backup aborted (unexpected response: '')
   Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
prior
   one  (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

Now this appears to be more of an rsync problem than a backuppc problem.
Manually running rsync produces some of the following results:

   root@ctech:/etc# rsync ctech:/home
   root@ctech's password:
   drwxr-xr-x        4096 2012/04/08 17:13:11 home
Which seems to be syntax for not using the daemon. Password needed.

   root@ctech:/etc# rsync ctech::
   backuppc        The module for backuppc to use
Which returns the modules available on ctech

   root@ctech:/etc# rsync backuppc@ctech:/home
   backuppc@ctech's password:
   drwxr-xr-x        4096 2012/04/08 17:13:11 home
Which uses rsync and requires a password

   root@ctech:/etc# rsync backuppc@ctech::backuppc /home
   Password:
   @ERROR: auth failed on module backuppc
   rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
main.c(1524)
   [Receiver=3.0.7]
Which is an attempt to use the daemon in the same way that BackupPC would do
it. Note that it still asks for a password even though the rsyncd.conf file
supposedly supplies this. The rsyncd.conf file is:

   #rsync daemon configuuration file
       motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
       log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
       pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
       lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

       [backuppc]
     path = /
     comment = The module for backuppc to use
     uid = nobody
     gid = nogroup
     read only = no
     list = yes
     auth users = backuppc, gary, root, diane
     secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt

Note that Debian has no group named nobody so nogroup is used instead.

I found dozens of references to the rsync error message, for various
programs that use rsyncd but ablsolutely no resolution of the problem.

Any help will be appreciated!!!!

Gary R.